Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Special Gifts & Special Friends

I know I said I was finished with my posts about Kibaale, but I just wanted to do a special post about some friends’ sponsor children.

First of all, before I put the pictures up, I just want to say something about sponsor children in general. On the 10th, us three girls got to help out with putting together gift baskets (which is one of the most celebrated gifts at Kibaale, they are always so excited to receive one!), and giving away special gifts.

It was really exciting to be able to be a part of that, and for the kids who got gifts, it really made their day, and probably their whole week. However, Mugabi (one of the social workers at Kibaale) told us something that put a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth.

“Yes, it is very very good for the children who get gifts, very good. They are so grateful. But they don’t all get gifts.”

When we asked him about it, he told us that while they were very grateful to the sponsors who send gifts to their children, there are also many children who never get gifts. Whether its because their sponsors don’t send them gifts, or if its that they just aren’t sponsored doesn’t really matter to them.

“They are so grateful for the money their sponsors send towards their schooling…. But the ones who do not get gifts come to us and are very sad. They ask why they don’t get special things too like some other children do.”

If you have a sponsor child, and have never sent them a gift for whatever reason, I urge you to do that!! Or if you do send your child gifts, but still want to help, you can send money in to whichever child needs it the most, and it will go towards the children who seldom (or never) get gifts. It really makes a difference to them.

Anyway, that’s my spiel for today, now here are some pictures J

Kirsten:


Cassy:


Erica:


Alyssa:



Cathy:




The Hattons:




The Kotts:


The Savages:


The Petersens:

1 comment:

The Hattons... said...

Thank you so much Erin. What a highlight to my day! I will show Mikiyas in the morning. I know he'll be thrilled.

You look great! Hugs!