Saturday, August 14, 2010

Our First Week in Kibaale

On our first full day here in Kibaale, we had a special welcome. While taking off my shoes after coming inside in the afternoon, I looked down, only to see a small brown snake only inches from my foot. It’s head was slightly raised up against the wall, and it was hissing at me; even still, it took me several seconds to realize what I was actually seeing.

When I finally did, I then proceeded to be extremely helpful by freaking out and jumping up on top of the couch, which of course sent the rest of the room into a panic. Thankfully Megan was thinking more clearly than me, and went out through the back door to get some help.

Jeff Dyke came back with her, armed with a broom to save us, and managed to kill it quite quickly. Unfortunately the head.. disappeared. It was only found a few days later by Megan, who had the excellent luck of discovering it with her bare foot.

But apart from that, our first week back hasn’t been extremely eventful. We’ve been able to spend time with a lot of children, and even went on a couple of home visits, to Erica’s two sponsor childrens’ homes. It’s always an interesting experience, and riding standing up on the back of the truck is probably the most exciting part!

I have many pictures saved on my computer already, but won’t be able to post those until we go back up into Kampala on the 14th to take Erica to the airport. But then there will be (hopefully!) an update with pictures for you to enjoy.


Spending time with a new friend, who calls himself Barack Obama :)



Nursery/Kindergarten morning assembly


Spending time in the community


This little sweetheart, Vanessa, fell asleep right in my arms


A friend's little brother, Kenny. He has the best laugh in the world!


Visiting one of Erica's sponsor children's homes...

No comments: