Friday, October 9, 2009

Santorini, Greece!

Well, I know I haven’t blogged in quite a while, but really, I’m just so frustrated with blogger right now. I wrote a huge long post, with tons of pictures and everything about our last week in England, but when I tried to post it, all the pictures (which had taken me about an hour to load) deleted themselves. Only a few stayed, and they were completely out of order. Ughhhh.

I’ll see if I can post a little bit of that later, but for now I just want to say that we are in one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen…. Santorini, Greece!! And we had a bit of an adventure getting here. The morning we left England (Wednesday the 7th) we had to get up very early- around 4:15am- in order to make our flight from Manchester to London. That was all fine, and we successfully caught our connecting flight to Athens as well. However, once we got to Athens and attempted to check into our last flight, here to Santorini, we were informed that the airline had canceled that flight, and while we didn’t know, they had contacted our travel agency. Now whether they in turn tried to contact us or not, we don’t know, but whatever happened, we were stuck in Athens. Which isn’t really the worst place to be stuck!

My parents were able to book another flight for 6am the next morning, and we went and found a hotel to sleep in for the night. The hotel was pretty good, and even had free wireless.. which was where I wrote my blog post about England, and where the pictures all got messed up L But anyway, we got up the next morning at 3:45am, got dressed and set off in the hotel taxis, caught our very short flight, and 3 hours after getting up, found ourselves on a tiny little plane, watching the sunrise as we flew over Santorini. It was amazing, so so beautiful. We could see all the classically greek white and blue houses and little churches and everything as we flew in and landed. Absolutely gorgeous.

Someone was waiting at the airport for us, and once we finally got here to our gorgeous little villa. Its connected with a hotel here, and they have 4 appartments that they rent out. We have two, and only one other one is occupied- by not very friendly people as far as we can see- and its so so cute J its surrounded by a gorgeous garden, has its own pool, and we can hear and see the ocean from our porches.

Anyway, after sleeping for a few hours, we got up and went swimming and to the beach for a bit, before going into town to explore. We rented a car, and this time, since they drive on the right side of the road,  my dad is able to drive as well J so we headed into town (I forget what it is called.. I know one is called Fira, and the other one is something starting with a C and sounds very Greek) and just explored. We drove around for a couple of hours, before stopping at a little café for dinner (Greek salad J soo good! Not very big, but still very good)

So that was our first day in Santorini at a glance! By the time we got back and went to bed, despite the fact that it was only about 9:30, I was exhausted! I wish I could put some pictures up, but we’re at the hotel and we can’t use the internet for too long right now. Hopefully we’ll have more access later on and I can put up the post about England, as well as some pictures of this incredibly stunning place we’re in now! J

No comments: