Monday, March 29, 2010

Howsit?

While in South Africa, not only have I made some great new friends, I've also learned some great new words!

Here is a sample of the South African vocabulary:

Howsit? (a greeting)

Shame (like "Aw, bless" in England. used if anything sad[ish]/pathetic etc happens)

Hectic (used for anything possible.. if you don't know how to describe something, someone, a place, a smell, a time, a movie, a book, food, anything etc. use the word hectic!)

Is it? (don't really understand this one, kind of used for anything as well. Ie "I just woke up." "Is it?" or "My mom doesn't feel well." "Is it?" etc. .... haha it doesn't really seem to mean anything much at all. I usually answer with "It is!" just for fun, they don't get it :P)

I'm sure there's quite a few more, but those are some of my favourites, and the most common ones I've heard. :)

Oh, and is it just me, or is a big paper cutting machine thing used in an office usually just called a "paper cutter"?? Because they call it a guillotine and that really confuses me. :P



PS I'm not making fun of anyone here, I love them all!! Some of their language is just crazy :)

No comments: